Town in Gallia Narbonensis, the modern Arles. Originally called Theline by the Greeks (Avien. 689ff. – Phocian foundation?), the town had a Celto-Ligurian name (It. Ant. 299,4; Plin. HN 3,36). Settled from the 6th cent. BC; A’s shipping trade was severely hampered by the silting-up of the Rhône delta, but enjoyed a marked resurgence thanks to the canals built by→ Marius in …
Cite this page
Lafond, Yves (Bochum),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 21 August 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e133690>