(Κερκινῖτις; Kerkinîtis). Ionian foundation from the 6th cent. BC in the north-western part of the Crimea near the modern village of Evpatorija (Hellanicus FGrH 4 F 70; Str. 12,3,18; Arr. Peripl. p. eux. 19,5), from the middle of the 4th cent. BC in the possession of Chersonesus  [1. 352] and closely linked with it; second largest town with an important port, agriculture and crafts, also Doric inscriptions [1. 339]. Fr…
Cite this page
von Bredow, Iris (Bietigheim-Bissingen),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider.
Consulted online on 26 July 2016 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e613200>