Introduction (Introduction_IV_XVI)
(4,897 words)

It was probably in December of 1945 that a party of Egyptian sabakh-diggers discovered under the sheltering side of a fallen boulder the sealed jar which when broken open was found to contain the manuscripts that are now known as the Nag Hammadi Library. Reportedly the jar was discovered together with a corpse (though not from an ancient burial) on a bed of something resembling charcoal, but this was not confirmed by excavations on or near the site thirty years later in December 1975. However that may be, o…

Cite this page
Shelton, John C., “Introduction (Introduction_IV_XVI)”, in: The Coptic Gnostic Library — A Complete Edition of the Nag Hammadi Codices, Editor in Chief: James M. Robinson. Consulted online on 24 March 2017
First published online: 2012



▲   Back to top   ▲