Deir ʿAllā
(1,349 words)

Deir ʿAllā, in present-day Jordan, is commonly identified with biblical סֻכּוֹת sukkōṯ Succoth which formed part of Gilead on the Eastern side of the Jordan River (Lipiński 2006:288–293). It belonged to the Kingdom of Israel, but was conquered in ca. 837 B.C.E. by Damascus and eventually fell to Assyria in 732 B.C.E. The site served as an important sanctuary during the Late Bronze Age, but not necessarily so in later periods (van der Kooij 1993). Excavations were initiated by Henk Franken in 1960. In March 1…

Cite this page
Gzella, Holger, “Deir ʿAllā”, in: Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics, Edited by: Geoffrey Khan. Consulted online on 22 June 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/2212-4241_ehll_EHLL_COM_00000333>
First published online: 2013
First print edition: 9789004176423



▲   Back to top   ▲