Le Journal de Salonique
(563 words)

Le Journal de Salonique (1895–1911) was the longest-lived French-language Sephardi periodical in the Ottoman Empire. It was founded by Bezalel Saadi Halevy in 1895 and after his retirement was run by his son Daout. Its first editor-in-chief was Vitalis Cohen, who was replaced by Lucien Sciuto. In 1898, this position was assumed by the publisher’s youngest son, Shmuel Saadi Halevy (Sam Saadi Lévy). Until mid-1908, Le Journal was a four-page bi-weekly. From 1908 to 1909, it appeared more often, up to five times per week, and often had a free supplement.

The program of Le Journal, published …

Cite this page
Olga Borovaya, “Le Journal de Salonique”, in: Encyclopedia of Jews in the Islamic World, Executive Editor Norman A. Stillman. Consulted online on 25 September 2017 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1878-9781_ejiw_SIM_000282>
First published online: 2010
First print edition: ISBN: 978900417678, 3554



▲   Back to top   ▲