Ozar Hatorah
(665 words)

The origins of the Ozar Hatorah (Heb. Oṣar ha-Torah, Wealth of the Torah) school system go back to a philanthropic organization established at the end of World War II by three Syrian Jewish businessmen, Isaac Shalom in New York,  Joseph Shamah in Jerusalem, and Ezra Teubal in Buenos Aires. In the aftermath of the Holocaust, the organization opened twenty-nine modern religious schools in Mandatory Palestine that in 1948 were given over to the government of the State of Israel. It also established a network in Iran that at its peak had forty schools and eighty-six hundred pupils. …

Cite this page
Michael Laskier, “Ozar Hatorah”, in: Encyclopedia of Jews in the Islamic World, Executive Editor Norman A. Stillman. Consulted online on 17 August 2017
First published online: 2010



▲   Back to top   ▲