Pro-Palestina Committee (Alexandria)
(168 words)

The Egyptian Pro-Palestina Committee was founded in Alexandria in August 1918 by a group of Alexandrian Jewish notables sympathetic to the Zionist movement. The president of the committee was Baron  Felix de Menasce; the vice-presidents were Joseph Elie (Bey) Picciotto and Victor Naggiar.

      Between 1918 and 1927, the committee raised the sum of 13,000 Egyptian pounds for the restoration of the Land of Israel and transferred the money to various projects and Jewish institutions in Palestine. Although the committee defined itself as hu…

Cite this page
Ruth Kimche, “Pro-Palestina Committee (Alexandria)”, in: Encyclopedia of Jews in the Islamic World, Executive Editor Norman A. Stillman. Consulted online on 29 March 2017
First published online: 2010



▲   Back to top   ▲