Encyclopedia of Law and Religion

Get access Subject: Law

Edited by: Gerhard Robbers and W. Cole Durham

Help us improve our service

In recent years, issues of freedom of religion or belief and state-religion relations have become increasingly important worldwide. The Encyclopedia of Law and Religion, unique in its breadth and global coverage, provides an important foundational resource for study of these issues. The encyclopedia covers the relation between law and religion in its various aspects, including those related to the role of religion in society, the relations between religion and state institutions, freedom of religion, legal aspects of religious traditions, the interaction between law and religion, and other issues at the junction of law, religion, and state.

For more information: see Brill.com


(3,034 words)

Author(s): Bill Atkin | Sean K. Brennan
I. Social Facts The Republic of Vanuatu is an island nation in the South Pacific Ocean, the archipelago of which is 1,750 km east of Northern Australia. As at the 2009 census there were just over 234,000 inhabitants. That number is believed to have increased to nearly 270,000. Approximately 98% of the population is indigenous Melanesians, the remainder being classified as “other”, not defined in the census. Nearly the entire population follows a religion, mostly Christian faiths. As of the 2009 census the Presbyterian Church had the largest following with 65,3…


(6,387 words)

Author(s): Victoria Carlton | Jacqueline Carlton
I. Social Facts The prominent religion in Venezuela is Catholicism. In the 2011 Census, the Venezuelan National Institute of Statistics reported a population of 27,227,930 of which 13,678,178 are females and 13,549,752 are males. The US State Department estimates that 96% of Venezuelans identify themselves as Roman Catholic with the other 4% affiliating with other religions such as Evangelical Protestantism, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (“LDS Church”), Jehovah’s Witnesses, Islam,…