(Ἀχάρραι; Achárrai). Town in north-western Achaea Phthiotis, at the border with Dolopia ( Dolopes) and Thessaliotis ( Thessaly). A. was the mint for 4th/3rd-cents. BC bronze coins bearing the inscription Ἐκκαρρεων (HN 294); its exact location remains unclear. In the Second Macedonian War, A. surrendered in 198 BC to the Aetolians during their advance into south-western Thessaly (Liv. 32,13,13; further sources in [1. 154 f.]).
1 F. Stählin, Das hellenische Thessalien, 1924.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 04 April 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e102010>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510