(Ἀχίλλειον; Achílleion). Town on the north-western coast of the Troas near Besik Bay [1. 185 f.; 2. 195], built by Mytilene in the 6th cent. BC as a base against Athenian-occupied Sigeum (Hdt. 5,94; Str. 13,1,39); probably one of the Aeolian coastal towns ( Aeolians [1. 180]). In the Hellenistic period, A. was taken by Illium ( Troy), and destroyed following an uprising (Str. 13,1,39). The town took its name from the burial mount of Achilles, visited by, amongst others, Alexander the Great (Arr. Anab. 1,2,12) and Caracalla (Cass. Dio 77,16).
Cite this pageSchwertheim, Elmar (Münster), “Achilleum”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 17 April 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e102190>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲