Etruscan settlement to the south of the later Roman colony Ferentium. A. is situated on a high altitude plateau of 32 hectares with steep drops along its edges to water courses at lower levels. The easy access from the south was secured with defensive moats. Swedish excavations since 1966 discovered that A. was flourishing from the late 7th cent. until its violent destruction in c. 500 BC. At the edge of the settled area, smaller, two- to three-roomed rectangular houses were located in an ar…
Cite this page
Miller, Martin (Berlin),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 24 January 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e102750>