This item can be found on the following maps:
India, trade with
Situated on the Arabian Gulf, A. was for a long time the only port town in the Axum kingdom. The export of high quality ivory ran through A., while textiles and metal goods were imported from Egypt and India (Peripl. M. Eryth. §§ 4 and 6). A. later became a Christian town, but appears to have been destroyed in the 7th/8th cents.
E. Littmann, s. v. Adule, RE Suppl. 7, 1 f.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Pahlitzsch, Johannes (Berlin),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 20 January 2022 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e104030>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510