Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 31 of 135 |

Aegina
(1,277 words)

[German version]

(Αἴγινα; Aígina). The island of A. (83 km2), named after the nymph A. (favourite daughter of the river god Asopus), lies almost in the centre of the Saronic Gulf; the port of A. is only 16 nautical miles from  Piraeus. The island is stony, arid, but not entirely barren. According to Str. 8,6,16, it had a circumference of 180 stades (c. 32 km), and its ancient inhabitants numbered between 13,000 and 20,000. The oldest traces of settlements (end of the 4th millennium BC) have to date been found near Cape Skenderotti (Kolonna). In about 2500 …

Cite this page
Kalcyk, Hansjörg (Petershausen), “Aegina”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 10 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e109840>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲