Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 18 of 255 |

Aegira
(364 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Achaeans, Achaea | Macedonia, Macedones | Oracles

(Αἴγειρα; Aígeira). Town in  Achaea, c. 1.3 km from the coast (Pol. 4,57,5) and c. 2.2 km from the port of the same name (Paus. 7,26,1), west of the modern village of Derveni. Protected on three sides by steep hills and on the fourth approachable only via a narrow ridge, A. was easy to defend and, at the same time, controlled the coastal road. The hilltop settlement (c. 416 m), inhabited since the late Mycenaean period (12th cent. BC), was originally called Hyperesia …

Cite this page
Lafond, Yves (Bochum), “Aegira”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 07 July 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e109640>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲