(Αἰολία sc. νῆσος; Aiolía nêsos). Residence of Aeolus , the lord of the winds. It is a floating island, which is hedged around by steep cliffs and a bronze wall (Hom. Od. 10.3 f.); in a certain contrast to these fairy-tale motives -- especially the floating of the island -- is the very Greek idea that the city and the ‘beautiful houses’ of A. and his family are on this island (loc. cit.13). Since the 5th cent. it is sited in actual geography and in particular identified with the Liparic or Aeolic Islands (Αἰόλου νῆσοι) (Antiochus of Syracuse FGrH 555 F 1; Thuc. 3,88).
Cite this pageGraf, Fritz (Columbus, OH), “Aeolia”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 29 March 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e110390>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲