Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Aesernia
(185 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Socii (Roman confederation) | Tribus | Coloniae

Main town of the Pentri in  Samnium, on a mountain ridge between the rivers Sordo and Carpino at the source of the  Volturnus, modern Isernia. Important road junction (via Aesernia, CIL IX 2655). In 295 BC captured by the Romans, in 264 BC extended by a Latin colony (minting). Following the Social War (80 BC)  municipium of the tribus Tromentina. Remains of polygonal walls, enclosing an area of 12 hectares, were part of the Latin colony. The  cardo maximus equates with the corso M…

Cite this page
Uggeri, Giovanni (Florence), “Aesernia”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 26 May 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e106180>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲