This item can be found on the following maps:
Christianity | Colonization | Punic Wars
Town in Gallia Narbonensis, colony of Massalia, within the territory of the Volcae Arecomici, modern Agde (Str. 4,1,5 f.; Plin. HN 3,33; Ptol. 2,10,2: Ἀγάθη; Agáthē, ‘good’), located on the edge of the Hérault-delta on a hillside which has been continually inhabited since ancient times. Because of its location, this seaport was an important safeguard of the trade between the Mediterranean countries and Gallia. In the 5th cent. AD bishop's seat.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Lafond, Yves (Bochum),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 13 May 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e107060>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510