Village (κώμη; kṓmē) in the Susiana mentioned by Alexander's fleet commander Nearchus at the conclusion of his voyage from the Indus to Babylonia (Arr. Ind. 42,4). Aginis lay between the mouth of the Tigris and Pasitigris (today Karun); Strab. 15,3,5 also describes its location but without calling it by name.
F. C. Andreas, s. v. A., RE 1, 810-816.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Kuhrt, Amélie (London) and
Sancisi-Weerdenburg, Helen (Utrecht),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 09 July 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e108110>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510