This item can be found on the following maps:
(Ἀκρόθῳον, Ἀκρόθῳοι; Akróthōion, Akróthōioi). Small town on the Athos peninsula, south-east of the Xerxes canal (Hdt. 7,22,1; near the modern Magistis Lavras?). Apart from a local dialect, Greek was also spoken there (Thuc. 4,109,3). In the 1st cent. AD (Plin. HN 4,37), the town no longer existed.
M. Zahrnt, Olynth und die Chalkidier, 1971, 150 f.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Errington, Robert Malcolm (Marburg/Lahn),
“Akrothoon /Akrothooi”, in:
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 04 July 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e112270>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510