Location at the mouth of the Orontes river where, in the 2nd millennium BC, the port of the city Alalach was located. The town continued to exist for several centuries even after the demise of the port (around 1200 BC). Once Seleucia (Pieria) was established as the port of Antioch , Al-Mīnā was no longer significant. Excavations show that it was a Phoenician-Aramaic settlement that had contact with Cyprus and the Aegean world.
A. Nunn, RLA 8, 1994, 208 f.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Klengel, Horst (Berlin),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 01 December 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e112590>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510