(Ἄλινδα/Álinda). City in northern Caria (Cares; Ptol. 5,2,20). In the Delian League in the middle of the 5th cent. BC (ATL 1, 467 f.); in 341/40 the only fortress remaining to the princess Ada, which in 334 BC she handed over to Alexander  the Great, only to receive it back by adopting him (Arr. Anab. 1,23,8; Diod. 17,24,2). After that A. was for a short time renamed Alexandria on the Latmus ; the city is supposed to have possessed a statue of Aphrodite by Praxiteles (Steph. Byz. s. v. Ἀλεξάνδρειαι). …
Cite this page
Kaletsch, Hans (Regensburg),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 18 October 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e12219160>