(Ἀμάρυνθος; Amárynthos). The town A. on the island Euboea belonged as deme to Eretria. A. lay c. 10 km east of modern Eretria on the Palaiochoria or Palaiokastro hill (formerly Kato Vatheia) on the coast. The place was already important in the neolithic period and remained continuously inhabited up into the Byzantine period. The name has pre-Greek origins. The sanctuary of Artemis Amarysia lay in A.; her festival was lavishly celebrated annually (Str. 10,1,10; Liv. 35,38,3) and extended all the way to Attica to the deme of Athmonon (modern Marusi).
Cite this pageKalcyk, Hansjörg (Petershausen), “Amarynthus”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 04 December 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e117220>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲