(Ἀμφαναί; Amphanaí). Town on the narrow coastal strip of the Pelasgiotis ( Pelasgians) near Cape Pyrrha, modern Angistri.
According to its foundation myth already existing in the pre-Thessalian period, A. was later outstripped by the Thessalian town of Pagasae. Most recent reference from the middle of the 4th cent. BC (FGrH 115 Theopompus fr. 54); its cultic tradition continued in Demetrias. In contrast with older studies it is no longer localized on Mount Soros, but to the south of it in the ruined town of Palioalikes near the village …
Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 14 November 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e118440>