(Ἀμφίκαια, Ἀμφίκλεια; Amphíkaia, Amphíkleia). In eastern Phocis at the foot of Mount Parnassus, on the southern edge of the central Cephissus valley; archaeological traces (late Mycenaean and 8th cent. BC), remains of a ring of wall and towers (c. 5th-4th cent. BC). Destroyed during the Persian invasion of 480 BC (Hdt. 8,33) and again at the end of the Third Sacred War in 346 BC (Paus. 10,3,2); rebuilt as Amphikleia (called Dadi(on) from the Middle Ages, nowadays once more Amphikleia). Oracular sanctuary of Dionysus…
Cite this page
Daverio Rocchi, Giovanna (Milan),
“Amphicaea, Amphiclea”, in:
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 16 October 2018 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e118560>