Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 8 of 281 |

Anagnia
(190 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Tribus

Town of the  Hernici on a tufa outcrop, which dominates the Sacco valley; sanctuary near the acropolis (modern S. Cecilia; 7th cent. BC), a further one in the valley (Osteria della Fontana, Etruscan graffiti). Roman from 306 BC, first as  praefectura , then  municipium . Travertine walls in opus quadratum; thermae under the church of S. Chiara (piscina preserved);  villae in the vicinity, of which one is ascribed to Cicero; imperial villa magna; catacombs. From AD 487 bishop's seat. The circus maritimus Anagninus was m…

Cite this page
Uggeri, Giovanni (Florence), “Anagnia”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 20 November 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e119660>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲