Seaport in Picenum, named after its location in an elbow-shaped bay (Mela 2,64). Occupied from the Mycenaean period, a colony was founded there by Syracusae in the 4th cent. BC (remains of walls and of a temple of Aphrodite on the acropolis; cf. Plin. HN 3,111). From the 2nd cent. BC, it was a Roman naval base. In 42 BC, it became a Roman colonia with duoviri. Of the Roman town, the …
Cite this page
Paci, Gianfranco (Macerata) and
Makris, Georgios (Bochum),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 21 September 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e120890>