Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 46 of 225 |

Angeae
(93 words)

[German version]

(Ἀγγείαι; Angeíai). Town in south-east  Pindus within the settlement area of the  Dolopes, probably close to the modern Rentina. From the 2nd cent. BC, A. outmatched the main town of  Ctimenae in importance. In the course of the Second Macedonian War, it was captured by the  Aetolians in 198 BC (Liv. 32,13,10), but continued to exist (cf. Syll.3 692,10 of 130 BC).

Bibliography

Y. Béquignon, La retraite de Philippe V. en 198 et l'incursion étolienne en Thessalie, in: BCH 52, 1928, 445 f.

F. Stählin, Das hellenische Thessalien, 1924, …

Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim), “Angeae”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 29 March 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e121800>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲