Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: Prev | 1 of 38 |

Anthedon
(184 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Education / Culture | Boeotia, Boeotians

(Ἀνθηδών; Anthēdṓn). Harbour town in northern  Boeotia ((Hom. Il. 2,508 calls it ἐσχατόωσα; eschatóōsa, ‘the farthest’), situated on the foothills of Mount  Messapion, on the gulf of  Euboea, c.14 km west of  Chalcis, 2 km north of the modern Loukisia. It was inhabited from the Mycenaean period until at least into the 6th cent. AD; its main income derived from fishing and seafaring. Under the rule of Epaminondas (middle of the 4th cent. BC),…

Cite this page
Fell, Martin (Münster), “Anthedon”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 14 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e123370>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲