This item can be found on the following maps:
Delian League | Athenian League (Second)
(Ἄντισσα; Ántissa). Harbour town in the north-west of Lesbos, c. 9 km north-east of the modern Antissa, settled from the 14th cent. BC. A. was a member of the Delian League, and participated in the secession of Lesbian towns on the initiative of Mytilene (Thuc. 3,18. 28). It was a member of the Second Athenian Confederacy. In 167 BC, it was destroyed by the Romans, and its population resettled in Methymna (Liv. 45,31,14; Plin. HN 5,139).
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Sonnabend, Holger (Stuttgart),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 01 August 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e125320>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510