This item can be found on the following maps:
(Ἀραβισ(σ)ός; Arabis(s)ós). Town in Cappadocia; the modern Afşin (formerly Yarpuz), near the confluence of three tributary sources of the Pyramus (It. Ant. 210,11). At the end of the 4th cent. headquarters of the legio XII Moderatiana. Mentioned from AD 381 as a suffragan bishopric.
F. Hild, M. Restle, Kappadokien (TIB 2), 1981, 144 f.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Strobel, Karl (Klagenfurt),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 08 July 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e131060>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510