Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 18 of 19 |

Arad
(109 words)

[German version]

Place in the eastern Negev (Nm 21,1; 33,40; Jos 12,14; Judges 1,16), mentioned in a source other than the Bible, by the Pharaoh Shoshenk (c. 920 BC) in a list of towns; first settled around 3000-2650 BC. In the 9th cent. BC, a fortress with a sanctuary was built on the tell and repeatedly destroyed. In the 1st cent. BC, a Roman fort belonged to the Herodianic Limes Palaestinae. A. is a site of significant finds for ostraka with inscriptions in Hebrew and Aramaic.

Bibliography

Y. Aharoni, Arad Inscriptions, 1981

Z. Herzog, M. Aharoni, A. F. Rainey,…

Cite this page
Liwak, Rüdiger (Berlin), “Arad”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 29 October 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e131110>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲