Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 32 of 36 |

Arco di Portogallo
(136 words)

[German version]

Only known by its popular name, this arch was destroyed in 1662 by Pope Alexander VII in the course of extending the Via del Corso to the south of the Via delle Vite in Rome. Drawings by Dosio (before 1569) and Schenck (before 1705) show a single-arch building decorated on each side with column pairs of verde antico which carry an arabesque acanthus frieze on composite capitals. On its northern side, two extensively restored, possibly Hadrianic reliefs with the apotheosis of a woman (formerly ‘Apotheosis of Sabina’) as well as an adlocutio (both Rome, MC) were attached,…

Cite this page
Förtsch, Reinhard (Cologne), “Arco di Portogallo”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 13 December 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e133100>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲