Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 17 of 129 |

Areopagus
(700 words)

[German version]

(Ἄρειος πάγος; Áreios págos). The ‘Ares Hill’ in Athens north-west of the Acropolis. It gave the old council, which met there, its name (‘Areopagus’). There are no noteworthy remains on the hill, the place of the sessions was probably located on its north-east side. Probably, the council was initially simply called the boule and only named after the hill when  Solon had created another council.

In Solon's time the council consisted of all former  archontes , who joined at the end of their office term (not so in [1]). It probably had about 150 members.

Presumably, the counci…

Cite this page
Rhodes, Peter J. (Durham), “Areopagus”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 14 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e133640>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲