Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 26 of 225 |

Argissa
(156 words)

[German version]

(Ἄργισσα; Árgissa). Listed in the ships' catalogue of the Iliad (Hom. Il. 2,738) as the city of the Lapith  Polypoetes, it was equated even in ancient times with the town of Argura (Str. 9,5,19). This was situated about 40 stades (c. 7 km) east of  Atrax on the river  Peneus. Following the discovery of coins bearing the name of Argura, A. is now localized (as opposed to [1. 99 f.]) on the Gremnos-Magula, c. 7 km west of  Larisa, where traces of settlements have been found, dating back to the Dimini culture (c. 6000 BC). Following a forcible occupation towards the end o…

Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim), “Argissa”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 13 November 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e134490>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲