Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 18 of 181 |

Ariarathia
(51 words)

[German version]

(Ἀριαράθεια; Ariarátheia). Town in  Cappadocia, strategia of Sargarausene, modern Pınarbaşı (former Aziziye), founded by Ariarathes IV. Documented as a suffragan diocese from AD 431. Under Constantine incorporated into  Armenia minor.

Bibliography

F. Hild, M. Restle, Kappadokien (TIB 2), 1981, 151

G. Hirschfeld, s. v. Ariarath(e)ia, RE 2, 815.

Cite this page
Strobel, Karl (Klagenfurt), “Ariarathia”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 02 June 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e134900>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲