Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 5 of 49 |

Armamentaria
(178 words)

[German version]

In early times the armamentaria or arsenals were situated in Rome itself; with the expansion of the Roman Imperium they were also installed in cities close to the theatres of war. In the legionary camps of the Principate the armamentaria were in the principia, those for the navy in the ports (CIL VI 999, 2725; VIII 2563); in Rome there was an armamentarium in the castra praetoria. The weapons were stored according to type, not army unit, and were guarded by the armorum custodes; the armamentarium was under the authority of a curator operis armamentarii and a magister, who was…

Cite this page
Le Bohec, Yann (Lyon), “Armamentaria”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 19 May 2022 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e200210>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲