Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 78 of 225 |

Atrax
(221 words)

[German version]

This item can be found on the following maps:

Grain Trade, Grain Import | Apollo

(Ἄτραξ; Átrax). City in the Thessalian Pelasgiotis, c. 20 km west of Larisa on the Peneius. Settled since the Mycenaean era (finds of pottery sherds), coins since the 4th cent. BC. A fortress under Macedonian rulership (from 344), played a significant role in the wars from 198 on (Liv. 32,15,8). Since 196 A. often provided strategoi for the new Thessalian Federation as well as its cult envoys to Delphi. Under Justinian the fortification of the upper city was restored, …

Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim), “Atrax”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 04 April 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e207100>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲