Capital of the Arverni in Aquitania (Ptol. 2,7,12), built towards the end of the 1st cent. BC on an uninhabited hillside around a cult site, modern Clermont-Ferrand. Referred to as Arverni (Amm. Marc. 15,11,13) or civitas Arvernorum (Notitia Galliarum 12,3), A. encompassed an area of three ha. within its town walls. Aqueduct, sacred spring (thousands of oblations, especially wooden statuettes). Epigraphical evidence: CIL XIII, 1460-93; Inscriptions latines des trois Gaules, 1963, 194, 197-201.
Frezouls, Edmond (Strasbourg),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 16 January 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e208800>