Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Basilica Hilariana
(149 words)

[German version]

The Basilica Hilariana (BH), located within the modern Villa Celimontana on the Piazza della Navicella in Rome, was first discovered through its mosaic with the caption revealing its name. Close by, the base of a statue of Manius Publicus Hilarus was found, who had erected the building for the members of a cultic society. The statue had been a donation from the priests of the Cybele. Since 1987, an area of 30 × 35 m has been uncovered. Stamped bricks reveal that the BH dates to th…

Cite this page
Förtsch, Reinhard (Cologne), “Basilica Hilariana”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 18 August 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e213310>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲