now Boppard. About 1 km east of a vicus from the 1st-3rd cents. AD, the late Roman castle B. of the milites balistarii (Not. Dign. occ. 41,23), with 28 round towers, was developed in the middle of the 4th cent.; in places the walls still reach up to 9 m in height. Early Christian church.
H.-H. Wegner, in: H. Cüppers(ed.), Die Römer in Rheinland-Pfalz, 1990, 344-346
E. Dassmann, Die Anf. der Kirche in Deutschland, 1993, 62-65.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Dietz, Karlheinz (Würzburg),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 18 October 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e218400>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510