Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 61 of 225 |

Boebe
(197 words)

[German version]

(Βοιβή, Βοιβηὶς λίμνη; Boibḗ, Boibēìs límnē). City on the steep, southern bank of the eponymous lake that stretched, north-west to south-east, along the Pelion and that was mentioned as early as the Iliad, in the Catalogue of Ships (Hom. Il. 2,711f.). B. belonged to Magnesia and, in 293 BC, became part of  Demetrias. In the Byzantine Period it was transferred to the edge of the lake. Of that locale (the medieval Karla) there still exists a church, Hagios Nikolaos between Glafira and Kanalia, on the remains of an ancient temple. Eve…

Cite this page
Kramolisch, Herwig (Eppelheim), “Boebe”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 02 July 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e218820>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲