In the vicinity of the modern town of B. were several small Etruscan settlements, e.g. on the hill of Pianmiano 2 km to the north-east, and Piano della Colonna 3 km to the north-west, and on Monte Casoli; possibly the ancient Maeonia or Pneonia. The settlement of the region is limited to the period from the Archaic to the early Hellenistic; only Pianmiano was still settled into the 6th cent. AD. The necropoleis were robbed in the 19th cent. The Parco dei Mostri with its rock statues, established in the Renaissance, displays many pointers to ancient influence.
Cite this pageMiller, Martin (Berlin), “Bomarzo”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 21 April 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e219060>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
▲ Back to top ▲