Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 107 of 281 |

Bovillae
(146 words)

[German version]

Town in Latium, colony of Alba Longa, ancestral seat of the gens Iulia, 11 miles south-east of Rome in Frattocchie near the via Appia, which had been extended to B. in 294 BC. B. became a municipium under Sulla. In 52 BC, it was the location of the dispute between Clodius and Milo. In memory of the obsequies of Augustus, Tiberius erected a memorial to the gens Iulia in B. (Tac. Ann. 2,41). Monuments: remains of quadratic town walls made from tufa (lapis peperinus) near Due Santi, and also of the arcades of a circus and a theatre. Villa of Domitianus. Aqueducts and three cister…

Cite this page
Uggeri, Giovanni (Florence), “Bovillae”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 15 April 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e219690>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲