Term used, since their discovery in 1765, for statues from the oracle sanctuary of Apollo Branchos in Didyma. The 15 extant statues of seated males date from 590-540 BC, record the names of their sculptors and were placed on the sacred road linking Miletus to the sanctuary. They are significant examples of Ionian sculpture style and of the oriental influence on Greek iconography.
K. Tuchelt, Die archa. Skulpturen von Didyma, IstForsch 27, 1970.
▲ Back to top ▲
Cite this page
Neudecker, Richard (Rome),
Brill’s New Pauly
, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 13 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e219770>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510