Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 18 of 121 |

Bremenium
(68 words)

[German version]

One of a line of Roman outposts north of Hadrian's Wall near the modern High Rochester. Established by Agricola (AD 77-84), the camp was renovated by Lollius Urbicus (AD 139-142), and again restored under Septimius Severus and Diocletian [1. 242-244]. CIL VII p. 178f.

 Limes

Bibliography

1 E. B. Birley, Research on Hadrian's Wall, 1961.

D. J. Breeze, The Northern Frontiers of Roman Britain, 1961, 138f.

Cite this page
Todd, Malcolm (Exeter), “Bremenium”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 19 January 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e219830>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲