Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Bı̄t Ḫilāni
(283 words)

The expression B.Ḫ. occurs in New Assyrian royal inscriptions from the time of  Tiglatpilesar III (744-727 BC) to designate a building or part of a building using a north Syrian model (ekal māt Ḫatti). The most important monuments are   columns on lion-shaped bases in the area of the entrance. B.Ḫ. is used mainly in connection with palaces (an exception: the Assur temple in  Assur) and has to do with royal leisure. No identification of B.Ḫ. within Assyrian architecture, as excavated or depicted, has yet been convincingly successful [1-3].

For a symbol in Luwian hieroglyphic script ( Writi…

Cite this page
“Bı̄t Ḫilāni”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 20 September 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e217900>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲