Brill’s New Pauly

Get access
Search Results: | 40 of 66 |

Byrsa
(95 words)

[German version]

Usual name (Lat., Greek bursa, ‘cow hide’) for the acropolis of  Carthage, supposedly as a reminder of Dido's legendary purchase of land (‘as much as a cow hide can cover’) for the foundation of the town, or oldest place name (Serv. Aen. 1,70: Carthago ante Byrsa, post Tyros dicta est), as a result of misunderstanding the Phoenician toponym bir-ša (‘Sheep's well’).

Bibliography

E. Lipiński, B., in: Actes du IVe colloque international sur l'histoire et archéologie de l'Afrique du Nord. Strassbourg 1988, 1990, 123-130.

Id., in: DCPP, s…

Cite this page
Niemeyer, Hans Georg (Hamburg), “Byrsa”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 12 May 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e222150>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲