The term Byzantium (B.) initially denoted the eastern part of the Roman Empire, from the foundation of Constantinople by the emperor Constantine the Great as a ‘second Rome’ on the extended territory of the town of Byzantion on the Bosporus in AD 330. After the end of empire in the western part of the Roman Empire in the late 5th cent., it designated the Roman Empire as it continued to exist in the East until 1453.
The rediscovery of Classi…
Cite this page
Tinnefeld, Franz (Munich),
Reinsch, Diether Roderich (Berlin RWG) and
Effenberger, Arne (Berlin),
Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry.
Consulted online on 16 October 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e1306420>