Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Calaurea
(207 words)

[German version]

(Καλαύρεια; Kalaúreia). Island in the south of the Saronic Gulf off the coast of the Argive Acte (21 km2, up to a height of 283 m), modern Poros. Grave finds have verified that the island was already inhabited in Mycenaean times [1. 297ff.]. The ancient town with its famous  Poseidon sanctuary (right of asylum) -- partially extant and excavated -- was situated in the interior of the island. The earliest finds from the sanctuary date back to the geometric period; the temple was built at the end of the 6th cent. and further ext…

Cite this page
Kalcyk, Hansjörg (Petershausen), “Calaurea”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 15 November 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e605600>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲