Brill’s New Pauly

Get access

Campi Phlegraei
(114 words)

[German version]

(Greek, Φλέγρα, Φλεγραῖον πεδίον, Φλεγραῖα πεδία; Phlégra, Phlegraîon pedíon, Phlegraîa pedía). Name of a coastal strip north of  Campania (between Capua, Nola and Vesuvius: FGrH 566 Timaeus fr. 89; Pol. 2,17,1; from Cuma to Pozzuoli: Str. 5,4,4; Plin. HN 3,61; 18,111); the name was coined by the Chalcidians, who founded  Cumae; Phlegra ( Pallene,  Chalcidice), the volcanic home of the giants, is supposed to be the root of the place name, possibly because of this region's similar volcanic nature.

Bibliography

BTCGI 4, s.v. Campi Flegrei…

Cite this page
Gargini, Michela (Pisa), “Campi Phlegraei”, in: Brill’s New Pauly, Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider, English Edition by: Christine F. Salazar, Classical Tradition volumes edited by: Manfred Landfester, English Edition by: Francis G. Gentry. Consulted online on 23 January 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1574-9347_bnp_e226010>
First published online: 2006
First print edition: 9789004122598, 20110510



▲   Back to top   ▲